Incredibly Rare British Celtic Iron Age Sword Circa Ist Cent. BC. Made Around a Century Before the Roman Conquest, by Claudius. Amazingly Its Very Type Was Noted in Caeser's Writings During His Time In Britannia. A Durotriges Celts Sword. Discovered 1857
According to the British Museum, who have an extremely similar example, there are only a few hundred remaining in existence today in the world. All of those that have been discovered, have been uncovered from famous hordes or individual finds, usually in South Central England within the past 200 years or so. This sword would have been used around what is being referred to as 'Duropolis', after the Ancient Briton, Celt, Durotriges tribe, which existed in the Wessex region. In its prime, it is thought to have contained 'hundreds' of inhabitants and would have been a major trading centre for southern Britain. The previously unknown habitation in Winterborne Kingston, near Blandford, dates from around 100BC, which makes it 80 years earlier than Colchester in Essex. Colchester was previously widely regarded as Britain's oldest recorded town.
Another fabulous hoard of around 800 Celtic iron age artefacts were announced just a few days ago in March 2025, from the Brigantes Celts of the 1st century B.C.
The most famous of the Ancient Briton Celtic tribes were the Iceni {whose name might have come from Iken, the original name of the River Ouse, where the tribe are said to have come from} who had settlements across Norfolk, in North Suffolk and East Cambridgeshire. One of them was at Brettenham on the Peddars Way, east of Thetford, which was built by Romans to quickly transport troops up to The Wash and Brancaster, where they had a fort protecting North Norfolk.
Queen Boudicca of the Iceni, probably the most famous of all the ancient Celts waged war against the Romans in Britain from 60 AD after the Romans decided to rule the Iceni directly and confiscated the Norfolk property of the leading tribesmen. The uprising was motivated by the Romans' failure to honour an agreement they had made with Boudica's husband, Prasutagus, regarding the succession of his kingdom upon his death, and by the brutal mistreatment of Boudica and her daughters by the occupying Romans.
this amazing sword is formerly from the ex-museum collection with their labelling on its display mounting board, this Ancient Briton sword was also used as a currency bar and is from the Dorset Hoard, an Iron Age hill Fort, in Dorset, excavated in 1857. It is acknowledged that this incredible and significant piece is one of the earliest examples of ancient British currency, utilizing sword blades, it is thought currency bars in the form of swords are actually the very first form of currency used in the British Isles around 2000 to 2,100 years ago, and used to barter and trade all manner of goods, and highly prized as of exceptional value at the time. It is a form of currency that is actually mentioned in Julius Caeser's writings, following Julius Caesar's expeditions to the island of Britannia in 55 and 54 BC. An Iron Age Celtic Dorset Hoard Sword, 2nd-1st century BC. It is further believed by some that they were money in the form of a sword as they were indeed once a functional sword, that was retired from combat.
A substantial long blade with the original short folded-over handle to one end; displayed in an old custom-made box housing with a recently added base and bearing old typescript 'CELTIC IRON 2nd-1st Cent B C / See Caesar's 'De Bello Gallico' V, 12 / Circulated s. and w. Britain / Dorset Hoard' label in four lines with inked correction to Spetisbury. including case (30 inches). Fair condition, held in an old museum display case with identification label.
Provenance
Ex Dorset, UK, hoard, found 1857; accompanied by a copy of the Archaeological Journal 96, pp.114-131, which includes details for the find.
Literature for reference.
See Gresham, Colin A., Archaeological Journal 96, pp.114-131, which includes details for this and other finds from the site; see also Smith, Reginald, Currency Bars, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, London, 2nd Series, XX, p.182 for comparison between the examples; cf. British Museum, accession no.1862,0627.18 for an example from the site (acquired from J. Y. Akerman in 1862; other items were acquired in 1892 from the Durdan, Blandford collection). The name Brittannia was predominantly used to refer simply to the island of Great Britain. After the Roman conquest under the Emperor Claudius in AD 43, it came to be used to refer to the Roman province of Britain (later two provinces), which at one stage consist of part of the island of Great Britain south of Hadrian's wall. Almost every weapon that has survived today from this era is now in a fully russetted condition, as is this one, even the very few swords of kings, that have been preserved in national or Royal collections are today still in a relatively fair condition, but they are from a much later period.
As with all our items it comes complete with our certificate of authenticity read more
2495.00 GBP
An Exceptional Third Pattern Napoleonic Wars Brown Bess, FrontlIne Issue Made At The Tower of London with Bayonet Circa 1808. The British ‘Brown Bess’ Was The Most Famed Musket In The World. No Army In The World Failed To Respect Them
Probably the most famous military flintlock musket in the world today, and certainly one of the most historically important and desirable long guns of its type from the Napoleonic wars.
A typical regulation example but in exceptional and excellent condition, with a stunning colour and patina. A British Napoleonic Wars regulation, regiment of the line issue musket, Crown GR and Tower, ring neck cock lock with government GR Crown stamp, regulation brass mounts, iron ramrod, sling swivels and triangular socket bayonet. Walnut stock with signs of combat use but still exceptionally fine. A musket that it would be highly unlikely ever to improve upon to find a better example.
The Brown Bess musket began its life almost 300 years ago, and it helped in creating one of the greatest trading empires the world has ever seen and, among other achievements, made the 'British Square' the almost undefeated form of infantry defence throughout the world. Made in four distinct patterns it originally started life as a 46 inch barrel musket called the Long Land or Ist pattern Brown Bess. Then in around 1768 the gun evolved and the barrel was shortened to 42 inches as 46 was deemed unwieldy and renamed the Short Land or 2nd pattern. Although the Long Land was made continually for another 20 years. With the onset of the Napoleonic Wars in the 1790s, the British Board of Ordnance found itself woefully short of the 250,000 muskets it would need to equip its forces. It managed to produce around 20,000 short land pattern muskets but this was simply not sufficient. At that time the British East India Company maintained it own troops and had contracted with makers to produce a simplified version of the Brown Bess musket with a 39-inch barrel and less ornate furniture and stock work. It was generally felt that the standard of these "India pattern" muskets was not up to the standard of the earlier Besses, but necessity required action so the authorities convinced Company officials to turn over their stores to the Crown. By 1797 the urgencies of war ultimately created the demise of the Short Pattern, and all manufacture was turned to building the more simple 'India' pattern. For the most part, the gun underwent few changes from its introduction until Waterloo, with the exception of the cock, which was altered from the traditional swan-neck style to a sturdier, reinforced ringed version in around 1808. Barrel 39inch overall 54.75 inches long.
Action has a very good and strong mainspring. As with all our antique guns no license is required as they are all unrestricted antique collectables read more
A Rare, and Most Attractive Early Model Antique Smith & Wesson Mahoghany Cased .38 Cal. Double Action 5 Shot Revolver. Rare Three Figure Serial Number Circa 1880
Blued finish, original S & W hardened rubber grips, square back trigger guard, with 31/4 inch barrel. Tip up barrel with T section release lever catch and automatic cartridge ejector. Green baize lined case interior, polished mahogany wood case with single lidded tool receptacle. Fully functioning action and deactivated to UK spec. with certificate
Smith & Wesson was well positioned at the start of the American Civil War to provide additional revolvers (generally bought by individuals as additional firepower) to both sides of the conflict, with orders outpacing production. After the end of the American Civil War, Smith & Wesson turned from smaller pocket revolvers favored during the war years to larger framed models designed for open use with the expansion into the American West. In 1870, the Smith & Wesson Model 3 was released becoming the Schofield revolver as it was adopted by the U.S. Army chambered in .44 S&W (later in .45 S&W). The Model 3 became the first cartridge-firing handgun adopted by the U.S. Army.
The same revolver was also adopted by the Russian Empire in .44 Russian. This popular top-break single-action revolver remained in production into the early 20th century. 1880 saw the release of the first double-action revolver by Smith and Wesson (the 38 DA). With the popularity of double-action revolvers,
1st Model. Manufactured in 1880, with serial numbers from 1 to about 4,000. (The ending serial number is approximate; the exact transition number from 1st to 2nd model is unknown.) Features a straight-sided sideplate, a rocker-type cylinder stop, short cylinder flutes with double stop notches and free cuts on the cylinder, a reverse-curved trigger-guard bow, and a front sight pinned in place. It came in both 3-1/4- and 4-inch barrel lengths.
2nd Model. Manufactured from 1880 to 1884, with serial numbers from about 4,001 to approximately 119,000. (Again, the exact transition number to the 3rd Model is unknown.) Features an irregularly shaped sideplate, a rocker-type cylinder stop, short cylinder flutes with double stop notches and free cuts on the cylinder, a reverse-curved trigger-guard bow, and a front sight pinned in place. It was produced in 3-1/4-, 4-, 5-, and 6-inch barrel lengths.
This revolver is serial numbered within the first 200 manufactured in 1880.
Photo 9 in the gallery shows the interior with small tool section covered lid removed, revealing a turnscrew and barrel cleaning brush, and six dummy rounds set within the spare bullet retainer.
Deactivated with UK certificate, not suitable to export. read more
1200.00 GBP
Possibly The Finest 17th Cent. French Royal Silver Hunting Short Sword, With Original, Incredibly Rare Scabbard & Belt Mount, From a Royal Collection. With The Rarest Bayonne Form Hilt. Likely Used By The King & His Court For the King’s Boar or Stag Hunt
This is a superb French King Louis XIVth royal hunting all silver mounted short sword, and all silver mounted scabbard, and the sword hilt has a hunting carbine muzzle form bayonne hilt, that can, once fitted into the guns barrel, enable the sword to be used as the very first form of bayonet, that converts a carbine into a long pike or spear. In fact the hilt form was named after the French town of Bayonne, where it was said to have been first used, and thus technically invented, and it is the very first form of bayonet ever made, and whence every future bayonet therefore gets its name. It is fitted within its incredibly rare original silk and silver bullion baldric, and we have never seen another surviving original example of such a fabulous royal baldric outside of Les Invalides Museum in Paris. There may possibly be another in the British {H.M. King Charles IIIrd’s } Royal Collection, as it is likely the largest in the world, but we have never seen it. Silk is one of the worlds strongest natural materials, stronger than steel pound for pound, in fact bullet proof vests were originally made from densely woven silk, but once very old, it becomes fragile and therefore antique silk rarely survives intact, especially such a piece as this.
It further bears in silver bullion decor, stitched into the baldric silk belt ‘frog’ mount, behind the two retaining cross straps, twin, inverted and elongated capital letter ‘L’s’, the personal cypher mark and symbol of King Louis XIVth of France.
The highly distinctive cypher mark of all the King’s of France bearing the name Louis. This may very likely indicate that this sword-bayonet was actually owned and used by the King or within the service of the King of France, by one of his highest ranking officers, or indeed an officer of his personal guard, while in use at the French royal hunting lodge by the king, or his entourage of the Royal Court, for hunting boar or stag.
The hunting sword is only usually used as the ‘coup de grace’ to finish off the beast at the hunts conclusion. However it is also an essential defensive arm to protect the king or a noble if the beast turns upon its hunter, which can be most perilous, and indeed, it is well known to be a most frequent fate of many unfortunate huntsman. The royal hunt since medieval days has been a very dangerous royal sport, with many nobles, princes or even kings meeting their grisly end.
King William II (William Rufus), who reigned in England from 1087 to 1100, was killed by an arrow while hunting in the New Forest on August 2nd, 1100, a death widely suspected to be an assassination rather than a hunting accident
King Christian V died from the after-effects of a hunting accident that occurred on October 19, 1698. Christian was hunting with his two sons and his half-brother.
One of finest quality pieces of its type we have ever had the privilege to own, and incredibly still in its original silver mounted scabbard and silk and silver bullion baldric. Probably this can be seen as the best available within the worldwide collecting market today.
It is also probably the most complete example, from the mid to late 1600's, we have ever seen, certainly in over 40 years, including those we have handled within the Royal Collections. This magnificent hunting short sword with bayonne {bayonet} hilt would be the prize of any of the finest worldwide collections of the rarest short swords that can double as the very rare, so called ‘plug’ bayonet, as they are ‘plugged’ into the muzzle of a musket, to convert it to a pike or spear. It is remarkably complete with its silver bullion and silk baldrick frog belt mount with three tongues. It has finest quality solid silver mounts, with decorated quillons bearing profile heads of possibly the king’s huntsman adorned with hunting caps, very similar to the armourer's marks on the blade. And the silver scabbard mounts and fittings also beautifully match, with an acorn frog mount. The original scabbard leather is superb condition, crosshatch patterned, with the so called ‘bullets and lines’ stamped decor. It has a wonderful blade, in stunning order, with two large matching armourer's marks of a profile head on both blade sides. The grip handle is birds-eye maplewood with a silver pommel.
While en residence at Versailles, at 2 pm: the king, Louis XIVth, gave his orders and announced his plans in the morning. If he went on a walk, it would be in the gardens on foot or in a Barouche with the ladies. If he decided to go hunting, the favourite sport of the Bourbons, the monarch would go to the park if he chose to hunt with weapons, and to the surrounding forest when hunting on horseback.
Since the days of the Pharoahs, hunting has been an essential activity of courts. Hunting was both a pleasure, and a way of gathering game for the royal table. Once one area was hunted out, the court moved on to the next. In many different monarchies hunting became an obsession, with its own music, dress and flamboyant rituals. One Chinese prince said: ‘I would rather not eat for three days than not hunt for one’
Hunting was so important that it could decide where the court resided. The proximity of hunting forests was one reason for the choice, as a royal residence, of Windsor, Versailles, Stupinigi, Hubertusberg, and many other sites. Conversely, the choice of these sites as royal residences ensured that the surrounding forests were well maintained. The landscape of the Ile de France is still dominated by the royal hunting forests of Versailles, Marly, Saint-Germain, Compiegne, Vincennes, Fontainebleau, and Rambouillet.
In addition to the pleasure and food it provided, hunting could also acquire a political and hierarchical function. Hunting was a visible assertion of domination over the land and the animal kingdom. It also protected the ruler’s subjects and their herds from boar, wolves and other vermin. The stag was the noblest beast, hunting it the noblest sport. Furthermore hunting was believed to be a school of war, masculinity and horsmanship. It taught courage, comprehension of landscape, and the art of the cavalry charge. In l’Ecole de Cavalerie of 1751, Robichon de La Guerroniere described hunting:
‘it is the pastime which Kings and Princes prefer to all others. This inclination is no doubt based on the conformity existing between hunting and war. In both, in effect, there is an object to tame’,
The story of the evolution of the bayonne, plug bayonet;
The late 17th century saw the final demise of the pike, and its replacement by the bayonet. The plug bayonet, which blocked the muzzle of the musket and needed to be removed for firing, did not catch on. The earliest military use of bayonets was by the French Army in 1647, at Ypres. These were plug-fitted into the barrel. That prevented firing once they were mounted, but allowed musketeers to act as their own pikemen, which gave infantry formations greater firepower. By 1650 some muskets had bayonets fixed to the gun at manufacture, hinged and foldable back along the barrel. French fusiliers adopted the plug bayonet as standard equipment in 1671; English fusiliers followed suit in 1685. The trouble with firing in successive lines was that it was only practical on a narrow front. In open country, the musketeers could easily be flanked, especially by cavalry. In most battles, the musketeers relied on pikemen to protect them while reloading. Infantry practiced various formations and drills that allowed musketeers to hide behind the pikes while reloading and to take up firing positions as soon as their weapons were ready to use. This system worked pretty well, but it obviously cut down the army’s firepower-sometimes by more than half.
The solution to the problem was to turn the musket into a spear. According to some sources, this was the idea of Sebastien le Prestre de Vauban, the great French military engineer in the armies of Louis XIV. It was a solution at least for soldiers. Hunters in France and Spain had for some time been jamming knives into the muzzles of their muskets for protection against dangerous game. It seems that Bayonne, a French city noted for its cutlery, made a type of hunting knife that was favoured for this use. When the French army adopted this weapon, it was called a ‘bayonet’. The earliest reference to the use of the bayonet is in the memoirs of a French officer who wrote that on one campaign, his men did not carry swords, but knives with handles one foot long and blades of the same length. When needed, the knives could be placed in the muzzles of the guns to turn them into spears. The bayonet proved to be a much more effective defense against cavalry than the sword.
There were some drawbacks to the use of plug bayonets when mounted in muskets, When the bayonet was inserted within in the muzzle of a loaded musket and then fired by accident, the gun might indeed explode. This sort of accident seems to have been much more prevalent among civilians who, unlike soldiers, did not load and fire on command. It was so prevalent that in 1660, Louis XIV had to issue a proclamation forbidding the placing of short sword-daggers in the muzzles of hunting guns.
Two pictures in the gallery are of French royal hunts, note in picture 9 the king is holding aloft his same hunting short sword with its distinctive curved blade, and his mistress armed with a boar spear. read more
7950.00 GBP
Original & Very Rare Antique Colt Double Action New Navy Revolver, Swing Out Cylinder Model of 1895 Manufactured in 1897 Agentine Contract, One Of Only 5000 Made, And Many Used By The Argentine Cowboy's, The Gaucho's UK Deactivated
Many were acquired by and used by the South American cowboys, the Argentinian Gauchos.
Superbly functioning main spring action. The revolver featured a counter-clockwise rotating cylinder, which could be opened for loading and ejection by simply pulling back on a catch mounted on the left side of the frame behind the recoil shield. It was easily manipulated by the thumb of the right hand, and upon release the cylinder could be poked out sideways with the shooter's forefinger. Empty cases were removed by simply pushing back on an ejector rod to activate a star extractor. The six-shooter could then be quickly reloaded and the cylinder clicked back into place.This type of double action revolver represents a significant step in the evolution of the revolver, as it was Colt's first swing out cylinder revolver. It was both double and single action, it utilized the spring-loaded ejector rod, and the later models could fire the new (at the time) smokeless powder cartridges. All of these features appealed to the armed forces. The earlier D.A. 38 guns, such as the 1894, were designed to fire black powder cartridges only.
The .38 Long Colt was a very early centre fire revolver cartridge, first appearing in 1875 in the Colt New House and New Line revolver models. It gained greater popularity when the Colt Model 1877 double action revolver was introduced. Nick-named the Lightning in .38 Long Colt, this model revolver in .41 Long Colt was popularly referred to as the Thunderer. The .38 Long Colt was commonly available throughout the last three decades of the 19th century, playing a part in the settlement of the West.
The Colt double action Army revolvers and their .38 cartridge were called to action in 1898 for the Spanish American War. Teddy Roosevelt obtained one that had been retrieved from the Battleship Maine, sunk in Havana harbor. He galloped up San Juan (actually Kettle) Hill towards a blockhouse and its Spanish defenders with this Colt in hand, dispatching an enemy soldier with the revolver. The United States emerged from that war with new possessions in the Caribbean and the Philippines.
Very Rare Colt Modelo Argentino 1895 Made in 1897
It was adopted to replace the Smith & Wesson – Russian Model in use to date, being provided between 1897 and 1898, with copies whose serial number ranges between 80,000 and 85,000, that is, 5,000 units. This revolver is numbered 81587
It was based on the model used by the US Army, with some detailed modifications, which lead to the text that accompanies the "Special Instructions for Chiefs and Officers who direct the lectures at the Academies" ( Internal Regulations of the Military Academy for the National Guard of the Capital - Decree 02/29/1896), {translated} signed by A. Capdevilla on 10/10/1895, indicate: “originated the designation “Revólver Colt, DA .38””. The same text indicates what seems to have been the official designation of its calibre: 9.22 mm., while it corresponded to the .38 Colt Double Action (.38 Colt D.A.).
It is so scarce that so little reference to the contract in Colt records still remains, only the antique Argentine military records contain reference to them
Deactivated with UK certificate not suitable for export. read more
750.00 GBP
A Stunning True Art Sword. A Spectacular & Immensely. Beautiful Museum Grade Cloisonne Enamel Samurai's Suzaku Phoenix Tachi With A Signed Shinto Blade By Bizen Kuniyoshi. Bearing the Paulownia Mon of the Imperial Court
A true and iconic example of a stunning samurai art sword. A magnificent collision of beauty and utility. It does not fail to attract admiration and awe from all that see it, even those that have little or no interest at all in original fine antique weaponry, would agree that this is simply a remarkable example of the finest and intricate craftsmanship to be seen in the world. Enamel work comparable to such as a piece of sublime object d’art by the genius Romanov Family Imperial Court jeweller Carl Faberge himself. This is only the second such very rare cloissonne enamel 'Suzaku Phoenix' tachi we have seen and had the privilege to offer in around five years. Interestingly that one was used by a Daimyo of the court of the Shogun Tokugawa, and bore his aoi mon.
Such wondrous pieces, in near perfect condition, are incredibly rare, however, being one of the world's leading Japanese art sword dealers, we do manage to find such glorious swords on occasion. For us though, the exceptional is incredibly important, so we actively seek not the 'run of the mill', which certainly takes considerably more time and effort, but we firmly believe {and so do thousands of our regulars}, it to be well worth it.
Suzaku is one of the four, Japanese, 'Great Celestial Beasts'. Suzaku translates to "Vermillion Chinese Phoenix". Cloisonne enamel mounted ancient bladed swords were often fabulous cultural presentation pieces, offered to great samurai and nobles as a symbol of their status and importance within the Japanese samurai nobility class hierarchy. This sword bears the imperial court paulownia crest upon the tachi's saya hangers, that was granted to individuals and families by the imperial court as a mark of honour and distinction. It symbolizes high status, nobility, and honour. The fabulous Japanese cloisonne koshirae fittings and mounts may well have been designed by Namikawa Yasuyuki, who was 'Teishitsu Gigei’, an Imperial Craftsman to the court of the Emperor Meiji. He decorated his later pieces with areas of semi-transparent mirror black enamel ground, such as this fabulous piece displays, that became a hallmark of most of Yasuyuki’s finest later work. Overall decorated with the incredible and fantastically detailed, magnificent, mythological phoenix.
Although Chinese cloisonné enamels had long been highly valued it was not until the late sixteenth century that cloisonné enamels became more widely used in Japan.There had long been a demand among the samurai for fine decoration of sword fittings and cloisonné enamels were used on tsuba (sword guards). The finest of these were made by the Hirata School, founded by Hirata Dōnin (died 1646) which was active well into the nineteenth century. A former samurai and one of the greatest artisans of the art was the cloisonné artist Namikawa Yasuyuki. Yasuyuki began his career around 1868 and worked with the Kyoto Cloisonné Company from 1871 to 1874.
He established his own studio and exhibited his work at national and international expositions. The most significant result of the collaboration of Wagener and Yasuyuki was the creation of the semi-transparent mirror black enamel that became the hallmark of most of Yasuyuki’s subsequent work.
Yasuyuki’s cloisonné enamels are characterised by the skilful use of intricate wirework and superb attention to detail and the designs on his earlier pieces are relatively traditional, consisting mainly of stylised botanical and formal geometric motifs. Much of his later work tends to be more pictorial with scenes from nature and views of landmarks in and around Kyoto.
Yasuyuki continued to improve his technical and artistic skills and in 1896 he was appointed Teishitsu Gigei’ in (Imperial Craftsman) to the court of the Emperor Meiji.The four celestial beasts, Seiryu the dragon , Suzaku pheonix, Byakko white tiger, and Genbu tortoise were probably introduced to Japan from China sometime in the 7th century AD, for their images are found on the tomb walls at Takamatsuzuka in Nara, which was built sometime in the Asuka period (600 - 710 AD). They are also found on the base of the Yakushi Triad at Yakushi-ji Temple , also in Nara. In Japan, the term “Suzaku” is translated as “Red Bird” or “Vermillion Chinese Phoenix.” In both Japan and China, the symbolism of the red bird seems nearly identical to or merged with that of the mythological Phoenix. One must consider the Suzaku and the Phoenix to be the same magical creature, although one cannot be certain if this is entirely true. Scholar Derek Walters says the Phoenix was supplanted or replaced by the Red Bird, for the Red Bird more accurately reflected the astronomical iconography associated with the southern lunar mansions.
It corresponds to summer, red, fire, and knowledge; it makes small seeds grow into giant trees. Often paired with the dragon, for the two represent both conflict and wedded bliss; dragon (emperor) and phoenix (empress). Portrayed with radiant feathers, and an enchanting song; and it only appears in times of good fortune. Within the ancient Imperial Palace in Japan, there was a gate known as Suzakumon (Red Bird Gate) Pairs of vases from these Meiji period Japanese cloisonne enamel workshops can now command prices into six figures. All of the fittings are in superb condition, damage free, the blade is in beautiful polish for its age age.Overall 27.5 inches long, blade 18.75 inches long
It is important to bear in mind, that due to the revered status that Japanese swords achieve for most of their working lives in Japan, that the condition they survive in can be simply remarkable. The size of this tachi is around the size, overall, of a chisa katana, or o wakazashi.
A photo of the signature on the nakago will be added tomorrow.
Every single item from The Lanes Armoury is accompanied by our unique Certificate of Authenticity. Part of our continued dedication to maintain the standards forged by us over the past 100 years of our family’s trading, as Britain’s oldest established, and favourite, armoury and gallery read more
15995.00 GBP
Stunning,1600's 'Senshu Banzai' Antique Edo Samurai Katana With Signed Blade, Kashu ju Darani Tachibana Katsukuni Saku, Katsukuni of the Tachibana Clan, the Darani School of Smiths, Made This {Sword} in Kashu Province, Incredible Hamon of Sanbon-Sugi
Beautifully mounted in original Edo mounts of iron fuchi kashira of silver birds in reeds, a pair of takebori crab menuki, with a fine iron tsuba decorated with takebori prunus blossom in silver, upon their branches. Finest blue tsukaito binding, and a beautiful black lacquer saya carved buffalo horn kurigata and dark brown sageo.
Signed blade,
加州住陀羅尼橘勝國作
Kashu ju Darani tachibana Katsukuni saku.
The Darani school, was geographically located in the Kaga domain, and its aim was following the Mino forging style. The sword's smith, likely the third generation, of the 1600’s, was a member, and made for, the Tachibana clan of Kashu {Kaga} province.
Engraved upon the ura with mei Senshu Banzai, which means ‘celebrate long life’, it may be for the samurai for whom it was made, or possibly to whom it was presented. A most unusual engraved Mei blessing to see chisseled upon a blade nakago
The Tachibana clan
Home province Chikuzen
Parent house Ōtomo clan
Founder Tachibana Sadatoshi (Ōtomo Sadatoshi)
Founding year 14th century
The Tachibana clan (立花氏) was a Japanese clan of daimyō (feudal lords) during Japan's Sengoku and Edo periods. Originally based in Tachibana castle in Kyūshū, the family's holdings were moved to the Yanagawa Domain in the far north-east of Honshū in the Edo period.
Darani Katsukuni swords are rated on the Wazamono list in the Kokon Kajibiko (古今鍛冶備考) of 1830 and later additions, as
Yoki Wazamono (良業物), {Ryo Wazamono } "Very good." Swords that cut through the torso 5-7 out of 10 times.
Edo period 1597 to 1863
The head of Darani school - Katsukuni 勝国 followed Mino technique and made to emulate Sanbon-sugi hamon {three cedar pattern} of Kanemoto
Wazamono is a classification of Japanese swords and swordsmiths used in Japan to identify historic blades of exceptional quality. According to the first edition of Kaiho Kenjaku (懐宝剣尺) published in 1797, There are 163 Wazamono swords in total, grouped into four categories based on their quality. This rating is based on a book compiled by Yamada Asaemon V (山田浅右衛門吉睦), an official sword cutting ability examiner and executioner of the Tokugawa shogunate, and is an authoritative index of cutting ability of Japanese swords. The list of ratings concerning swordsmithing differs between Kaiho Kenjaku (懐宝剣尺) published in 1797 and the reprinted edition published in 1805, and the major revised edition of Kokon Kajibiko (古今鍛冶備考) published in 1830. Adding to the number of sword smiths in each edition: Saijo Ō Wazamono 15, Ō Wazamono 21, Yoki Wazamono 58, Wazamono 93, lower 3 grade mixed 65. In the original list of 1797 Twelve swords are classified as Saijō Ō Wazamono (Supreme Grade), twenty-one swords are classified as Ō Wazamono (Excellent), fifty swords are classified as Yoki (Ryō) Wazamono (Very Good), and eighty swords are classified as Wazamono (Good).
There was a most famous sword of the Tachibana it was named Raikiri: The Lightning Cutter, or Thunder Cutter.
Raikiri, also known as the Lightning Cutter, holds a place of honour within the annals of Japanese sword lore. Its story intertwines with the remarkable warrior Bekki Dōsetsu, the first head of the Tachibana family.
Originally, Raikiri began its existence as a long tachi sword named “Chidori.”
One fateful day, as Dōsetsu rested beneath a grand tree, a thunderbolt struck nearby. Swift as lightning, he drew his sword, Chidori, and slashed at the electrifying force.
The blade’s swift and decisive cut earned it a new name: Raikiri, signifying the lightning’s cleaving power.
Dōsetsu, father of the renowned Tachibana Ginchiyo, wielded Raikiri with unmatched skill. His valour and connection to the supernatural elevated the sword’s status.
Raikiri became a symbol of courage, a blade that could slice through not only flesh but also the very elements.
The katana was such a crucial part of a samurai's life that when a young warrior was on the verge of entering this world, the sword he would use as a protector was brought into the delivery room as if to greet the young one. And, when a weathered, old veteran warrior was on his deathbed, ready to cross over into the White Jade Pavilion of the afterlife, his katana was placed at his side, as if to protect him one last time. Samurai endured for almost 700 years, from 1185 to 1867. Samurai families were considered the elite. They made up only about six percent of the population and included daimyo and the loyal soldiers who fought under them. Samurai means “one who serves."
Samurai were expected to be both fierce warriors and lovers of art, a dichotomy summed up by the Japanese concepts of bu to stop the spear exanding into bushido (the way of life of the warrior) and bun (the artistic, intellectual and spiritual side of the samurai). Originally conceived as away of dignifying raw military power, the two concepts were synthesized in feudal Japan and later became a key feature of Japanese culture and morality.The quintessential samurai was Miyamoto Musashi, a legendary early Edo-period swordsman who reportedly killed 60 men before his 30th birthday and was also a painting master. Members of a hierarchal class or caste, samurai were the sons of samurai and they were taught from an early age to unquestionably obey their mother, father and daimyo. When they grew older they were trained by Zen Buddhist masters in meditation and the Zen concepts of impermanence and harmony with nature. The were also taught about painting, calligraphy, nature poetry, mythological literature, flower arranging, and the tea ceremony.
As part of their military training, it was said, that samurai were taught to sleep with their right arm underneath them so if they were attacked in the middle of the night and their the left arm was cut off the could still fight with their right arm. Samurai that tossed and turned at night were cured of the habit by having two knives placed on either side of their pillow. It seems somewhat extreme, but not entirely impossible.
Samurai have been describes as "the most strictly trained human instruments of war to have existed." They were expected to be proficient in the martial arts of aikido and kendo as well as swordsmanship and archery---the traditional methods of samurai warfare---which were viewed not so much as skills but as art forms that flowed from natural forces that harmonized with nature.
An individual didn't become a full-fledged samurai until he wandered around the countryside as begging pilgrim for a couple of years to learn humility. When this was completed they achieved samurai status and receives a salary from his daimyo paid from taxes (usually rice) raised from the local populace. Swords in Japan have long been symbols of power and honour and seen as works of art. Often times swordsmiths were more famous than the people who used them.
Antique Japanese woodblock prints in the gallery {not included} of Tachibana clan armour and Tachibana Masashige read more
10950.00 GBP
Private Purchase WW2, 1941, "Taylor's Eye Witness" Desert Rat Commando Knife 'Afrika Korps Campaign' Against Rommel At Tobruk. With North African Scabbard With WW2 Hand Made British Service Belt & Strap Loop
Around 25 years ago we bought another identical Taylors Eye Witness fighting knife from a Desert Rat No 8 {Guards} Commando veteran that also had the very same form of North African made scabbard with the same military service belt and strap loop. The blade still has its original cross-grain polish, and is near razor sharp. There are a few rust stains which we have left untouched. Overall it has remained unmolested since the war.
During World War II, the "Taylor's Eye Witness" Sheffield-made stiletto double edged bladed fighting knife, a private purchase item, gained popularity among British commandos and US troops stationed in Britain, particularly prior to D-Day.
The Twin Pimples was a feature in the Axis lines surrounding Tobruk. It was a defensive strong point consisting of two hills very close together that dominated the opposing Allied lines and at the time of the raid was held by units of the Italian Army. The 18th King Edward's Own Cavalry, normally part of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade, held the line across from the Twin Pimples when it was decided to take out the Italian position. The No. 8 Commando was selected to carry out the operation and for some days prior they conducted patrols with the Indians to get to know the lay of the land.
The plan called for three officers and 40 men of No. 8 Commando and a small number of Australian Engineers (to deal with ammunition dumps and gun emplacements) to cross the Italian forward positions to the road that they used to bring up supplies and then follow the road to the rear of the Twin Pimples and engage the position from behind. The 18th Cavalry were to carry out a diversionary raid just before the commando assault to divert the defenders' attention. The man chosen to lead the raid was Captain M. Keely, the second in command was Captain Dunne and the third officer was Lieutenant Lewes On the night of the raid, 17/18 July, half the Commandos were armed with Thompson submachine guns and the other half with Lee–Enfield rifles with bayonets fixed. All carried hand grenades and every third man wore a groundsheet slung bandoleer fashion to use as a stretcher.
The Commandos left their own lines at 23:00 hours on 17 July and crossed the Italian forward positions and main lines undetected. Upon reaching the supply road they had to take cover and wait, as the attack was planned for 01:00 hours on 18 July. They moved closer to their objective just prior to the start of the diversionary attack by the 18th Cavalry. The diversion was a success, and Italian machine-gun fire and very lights were directed towards the Indian cavalrymen. The Commandos managed to get within 30 yards (27 m) on the Twin Pimples before being challenged. The challenge was answered by a frontal attack by the Commandos. So as not to confuse their own forces with the Italians in the darkness, the password Jock was used when a position had been taken. The fire fight lasted about four minutes and the Australian Engineers planted explosives on several mortars and an ammunition dump. The planners had estimated that the Commandos could spend no longer than 15 minutes on the Italian position before it was engaged by the Italian artillery. The raiders had only got about 100 yards (91 m) from the Twin Pimples when the Italian artillery started to come down onto their own position.
Aftermath
The cost of the raid to the Commandos was five wounded, one of whom later died of his wounds. The No. 8 Commando, together with the rest of Layforce, was disbanded soon after. The operational difficulties that had been exposed, combined with the inability of the high command to fully embrace the commando concept, had largely served to make them ineffective. Two members of No. 8 Commando, David Stirling and Jock Lewes, would form the Special Air Service by the end of July 1941. Tobruk would remain under siege until relieved by Operation Crusader in November 1941.
The only soldier to be killed on this raid was Corporal John “Jackie” Edward Trestrail Maynard of the Duke of Cornwall's light Infantry and No 8 (Guards) Commando
These knives were often purchased from private/commercial suppliers and were favoured by British and US troops.
The knives featured a double-edged blade, a grip made of pressed leather washers, and a brass pommel. The original leather scabbard was often missing its small retaining strap, so local made replacement were often made and used
More and more photographic evidence has emerged showing these knives being used by British/Commonwealth and US troops, making them more sought after.
Due to the increasing evidence and the rising value of Fairbairn-Sykes knives, this pattern of fighting knife has become difficult to source.
The story starts in 1820 when John Taylor founded a small pocketknife & edge tools workshop in the very heart of Sheffield, the ancestral home of cutlery in Great Britain. As was normal back then, makers would seek the use of a symbol by which their products would be recognised, even by those unable to read. In 1838 Taylor was granted the "Eye Witness" trademark for his goods, accompanied by an illustration of an all-seeing eye, hence the Eye Witness name.
The last photo in the gallery is of a US sergeant sharpening his eye witness fighting knife in his tent before his departure for D-Day, with another picture of an eye witness fighting knife, in its regular scabbard, that appears in Ron Flook's book {12.1}
See 'The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife And Other Commando Knives' By Ron Flook , page 179 {12.1} read more
Price
on
Request
1907 King Edward VIIth Wilkinson Sword Enfield Bayonet For the Early SMLE Rifle in Original Scabbard & Canvas Frog. issued To The 2nd Bt. Lancashire Fusiliers
Just returned from 12 hours of hand polishing and conservation to reveal at last its completely original, near as new, condition, with original leather and steel mounted scabbard and its early canvas frog, with regimental stamps for the 2nd Bt, Lancashire Fusiliers. Numerous ordnance inspection stamps at the ricasso from 1909, 1910,1911,1913 & 1914 alongside the service pattern 1907 date Wilkinson maker stamp and ER Crown
2nd Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers were in Dover with 12th Brigade, 4th Division when war was declared in August 1914. 4th Division was held back from the original British Expeditionary Force by a last minute decision to defend England against a possible German landing. The fate of the BEF in France and the lack of any move by the Enemy to cross the channel, reversed this decision and they proceeded to France landing at Boulogne on the 20th of August 1914, arriving in time to provide infantry reinforcements at the Battle of Le Cateau, the Divisional Artillery, Engineers, Field Ambulances and mounted troops being still en-route at this time. They were in action at the The Battle of the Marne, The Battle of the Aisne and at Messines in 1914. In 1915 they fought in The Second Battle of Ypres. On the 4th of November 1915 the 2nd Lancashires moved with 12th Brigade to 36th (Ulster) Division to provide training over the winter months and returned to 4th Division on the 3rd of February 1916.
In 1916 moved south and were in action during the Battles of the Somme. In 1917 they were at Arras, in action during the The First and Third Battles of the Scarpe, before heading north for the Third Battle of Ypres, where they fought in The Battle of Polygon Wood, The Battle of Broodseinde, The Battle of Poelcapelle and The First Battle of Passchendaele. In 1918 they were in action on The Somme, then returned to Flanders fighting in the Defence of Hinges Ridge during The Battle of Hazebrouck and in The Battle of Bethune, The Advance in Flanders The Second Battles of Arras, the Battles of the Hindenburg Line and the Final Advance in Picardy. The 4th Division was demobilised in Belgium in early 1919.
On Wednesday 4th July 2007 four soldiers from the First World War were laid to rest in Belgium. One was clearly identified as Private Richard Lancaster of the 2nd Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers who died on the 10th November 1914. He was found with two other bodies who may have been LFs but there was not enough evidence to prove it. The other body was that of a soldier, possibly and officer from the TA Fusilier Brigade in the 66th East Lancashire Division. He was killed on the 10th October 1917 during the battle for Passchendaele read more
Price
on
Request
A Stunning, Original, Ancient Roman-Egyptian Ist Cent BC Ancient Bronze 'Twin Headed' Cobra 'Ureas Ring' of the Sacred Serpent Goddess Wadjet, Late Egyptian Ptolomeic Period & the Roman Pharoahs Era. Worn In The Time of Anthony And Cleopatra
Circa 2020 to 2100 years old. From our amazing new collection of original, important, Imperial Roman, Egyptian, Viking, Medieval and Napoleonic War artefacts we just acquired
Romano-Egyptian coiled and engraved bronze twin serpent head ring, decorated and engraved heads and scales. An ureaus ring, from the time of Cleopatra, Julius Caeser and Mark Anthony.
The Uraeus is the name given to the symbol of a rearing cobra, used in ancient Egypt to denote royalty and divine authority. it has a special significance in Roman culture royalty and art, and especially with Cleopatra the last Egyptian Pharoah to wear the Nemes serpent crown, and who famously, allegedly comitted suicide utilizing the bite of the asp serpent.
The pharaohs, dynastic kings and queens of Egypt, wore the Uraeus symbol as a head ornament as part of their crown. As far back as the Old Kingdom (3rd millennium BCE) wearing the Uraeus serpent communicated the pharaoh's legitimacy in ruling the lands of Lower Egypt.
In hieroglyphics, the Uraeus was often used to refer to a priestess or a goddess such as Isis. One myth about the origin of the Uraeus symbol claims that Isis created the first Uraeus, forming it from dust and spit. Isis used the snake in order to win the throne of Egypt for Osiris, her husband.
Egyptian Snake Goddess
The Uraeus is the symbol of the Egyptian snake goddess Wadjet. One of the oldest deities in the Egyptian pantheon, Wadjet was worshiped as the patroness of the Nile Delta and the protector of Lower Egypt. The center of Wadjet's cult was Per-Wadjet. The snake symbol worn by the pharaohs was seen to symbolize Wadjet's protection of the pharaoh and her approval of his claim of sovereignty. Some goddesses were also depicted wearing the Uraeus upon their heads, suggesting that the Egyptians believed these goddesses embodied aspects of Wadjet or fell under her protection.
When the Upper and Lower Kingdoms of Egypt unified, an image of Nekhbet, the vulture goddess and patron of Upper Egypt joined the image of Wadjet as the Uraeus on the pharaoh's crown. The two goddesses were known as the Nebty, the two ladies, and were seen as joint protectors of the newly-unified kingdom. When the sun god Ra rose to prominence during the Middle Kingdom and the pharaohs began to be seen as manifestations of Ra, the Uraeus was believed to protect them by spitting fire from the sun onto their enemies.
The Roman pharaohs, rarely referred to as ancient Egypt's Thirty-fourth Dynasty, were the Roman emperors in their capacity as rulers of Egypt, especially in Egyptology. After Egypt was incorporated into the Roman Empire in 30 BC, the people and especially the priesthood of the country continued to recognise the Roman emperors as pharaohs, according them traditional pharaonic titularies and depicting them with traditional pharaonic garb, engaging in traditional pharaonic activities, in artwork and at temples throughout Egypt.
Cleopatra VII had affairs with Roman dictator Julius Caesar and Roman general Mark Antony, but it was not until after her 30 BC suicide (after Mark Antony's defeat against Octavian, who became Emperor Augustus) that Egypt became a province of the Roman Republic. Subsequent Roman emperors were accorded the title of pharaoh, although exclusively while in Egypt. As such, not all Roman emperors were recognized as pharaohs. Although Octavian made a point of not taking the Pharaonic crown when he conquered Egypt, which would have been difficult to justify to the wider empire considering the vast amount of propaganda which he had spread about the "exotic" behavior of Cleopatra and Antony, the native population of Egypt regarded him as the pharaoh succeeding Cleopatra and Caesarion. Depictions of Octavian, now called Augustus, in traditional pharaonic garbs (wearing different crowns and the traditional kilt) and sacrificing goods to various Egyptian gods were made as early as around 15 BC and they are present in the Temple of Dendur, built by Gaius Petronius, the Roman governor of Egypt. Even earlier than that, Augustus had been accorded royal titles in the Egyptian version of a 29 BC stele made by Cornelius Gallus, despite royal titles not being present in the Latin or Greek-language versions of the same text.
Approx I inch across
Last pictures in the gallery of Roman bust of a Roman emperor wearing the Egyptian Nemes serpent crown, and another Egyptian tomb figure wearing the Nemes crown in carved wood and gold.
As with all our items it comes complete with our certificate of authenticity read more
995.00 GBP