click for more images
With battle honours up to 1918. Made in 1931 by Wilkinson Sword Co. and used in the corps through WW2. It is pretty rare to find a KRRC Battle Honour presentation pattern sword. The King's Royal Rifle Corps was an infantry rifle regiment of the British Army that was originally raised in British North America as the Royal American Regiment during the phase of the Seven Years' War in North America known as 'The French and Indian War.' Subsequently numbered the 60th Regiment of Foot, the regiment served for more than 200 years throughout the British Empire. In the First World War
The 1st Battalion landed at Rouen as part of the 6th Brigade in the 2nd Division in August 1914 for service on the Western Front. It saw action at the Battle of Mons in August 1914, the First Battle of the Marne and the First Battle of the Aisne in September 1914 and First Battle of Ypres in October 1914. It fought at the Battle of Festubert in May 1915, the Battle of Loos in September 1915 and the Battle of the Somme in Autumn 1916 before taking part in the advance to the Hindenburg Line, the Battle of Arras in November 1917, the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917, the Second Battle of the Somme in Autumn 1918 and the Battle of the Selle in October 1918.
The 2nd Battalion landed at Le Havre as part of the 2nd Brigade in the 1st Division in August 1914 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Battle of Aubers Ridge in May 1915.
The 3rd Battalion landed at Le Havre as part of the 80th Brigade in the 27th Division in December 1914 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915.
The 4th Battalion landed at Le Havre as part of the 80th Brigade in the 27th Division in December 1914 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Second Battle of Ypres in April 1915 but moved to Salonika in November 1915 before returning to France in June 1918.
The 7th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 41st Brigade in the 14th (Light) Division in August 1914 for service on the Western Front and saw action the Second Battle of Ypres in May 1915, the Battle of Delville Wood in July 1916 and the Battle of Flers?Courcelette in September 1916 as well as the advance to the Hindenburg Line, the Battle of Arras in April 1917, the Battle of Langemark in August 1917, the First Battle of Passchendaele in October 1917 and the Second Battle of Passchendaele in November 1917 before taking part in the Battle of St Quentin in March 1918 and the Battle of the Avre in April 1918.
The 8th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 41st Brigade in the 14th (Light) Division in May 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action most of the same battles as the 7th Battalion. The 9th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 42nd Brigade in the 14th (Light) Division in May 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action most of the same battles as the 7th and 8th battalions.
The 10th (Service) Battalion and 11th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 59th Brigade in the 20th (Light) Division in July 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Battle of Mont Sorrel in June 1916, the Battle of Delville Wood in July 1916 and the Battle of Guillemont in September 1916 as well as the Battle of Flers?Courcelette in September 1916, the Battle of Morval in September 1916 and the Battle of Le Transloy in October 1916 before taking part in the advance to the Hindenburg Line, the Battle of Langemarck in August 1917, the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge in September 1917, the Battle of Polygon Wood in September 1917 and the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917.
The 12th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 60th Brigade in the 20th (Light) Division in July 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action most of the same battles as the 10th and 11th Battalions. The 13th (Service) Battalion landed at Boulogne-sur-Mer as part of the 111th Brigade in the 37th Division in July 1915 for service on the Western Front and saw action at the Battle of Morval in September 1916, the advance to the Hindenburg Line and the Battle of Arras in April 1917 as well as the Battle of Passchendaele in Autumn 1917, the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917 and the Hundred Days Offensive in Autumn 1918 before taking part in the Battles of the Hindenburg Line and the Final Advance in Picardy.
Seven members of the regiment received the Victoria Cross. No scabbard
The Gukhas are the finest and bravest, combat soldiers in the world, with legendary loyalty to the British Crown. In military type black leather over wood scabbard, with metal protection chape. When worn in combat it would normally be in a khaki canvas cover. With traditional accessories of sharpening tool and small utility/skinning knife. Superb tempered steel blade and carved hardwood and brass ovoid pommel capped hilt. overall in fabulous condition. Field Marshall Sam Manekshaw once said, " If someone says he does not fear death, then he is either telling a lie or he is a Gurkha". On 12/13 May 1945 at Taungdaw, Burma [now Myanmar], Rifleman Lachhiman Gurung VC was manning the most forward post of his platoon which bore the brunt of an attack by at least 200 of the Japanese enemy. Twice he hurled back grenades which had fallen on his trench, but the third exploded in his right hand, blowing off his fingers, shattering his arm and severely wounding him in the face, body and right leg. His two comrades were also badly wounded but the rifleman, now alone and disregarding his wounds, loaded and fired his rifle with his left hand for four hours, calmly waiting for each attack which he met with fire at point blank range. Afterwards, when the casualties were counted, it is reported that there were 31 dead Japanese around his position which he had killed, with only one arm.In the Falklands War in 1982 the Argentinians abandoned Mount William without a fight simply because the enemy forces advancing towards them were the 2nd Battalion, 7th Ghurka Rifles. The blade shape descended from the classic Greek sword of Kopis, which is about 2500 years old. The Kukri is the renown and famous weapon of the Nepalese Gurkha. Probably the most respected and feared warriors in the world, the Gurkhas of Nepal have fought in the Gurkha regiments of the British Army for around two centuries. With a degree of loyalty and dedication that is legendary, there is no greater soldier to be at one's side when in battle than the noble Gurkha. With a Kukri in his hand and the battle cry called, "Ayo Gorkhali!" ["the Gurkhas are coming!"], no foe's head was safe on his shoulders. Battle hardened German Infantry in WW1, or in WW2, the notorious Japanese Shock Troops, have both been known to tremble in their boots at the knowledge that they would be facing the Gurkhas in battle. Some of the most amazing feats of heroism have resulted in the most revered medal, the British Victoria Cross [ the world's greatest and most difficult to qualify for gallantry medal] being awarded to Ghurkas.
Some say it originated from a form of knife first used by the Mallas who came to power in Nepal in the 13th Century. There are some Khukuris displaying on the walls of National Museum at Chhauni in Kathmandu which are 500 years old or even older, among them, one that once belonged to Drabya Shah, the founder king of the kingdom of Gorkha, in 1627 AD. But, some say that the Khukuri's history is possibly centuries older this. It is suggested that the Khukuri was first used by Kiratis who came to power in Nepal before Lichchhavi age, in about the 7th Century. In the hands of an experienced wielder Khukuri or Kukri is about as formidable a weapon as can be conceived. Like all really good weapons, Khukuri's or Kukri's efficiency depends much more upon skill than the strength of the wielder. And thus so that it happens, that a diminutive Gurkha, a mere boy in regards to his stature, could easily cut to pieces a gigantic adversary, who simply does not understand the little Gurkha's mode of attack and fearsome skill. The Gurkha generally strikes upwards with his Kukri, possibly in order to avoid wounding himself should his blow fail, and possibly because an upward cut is just the one that can be least guarded against however strong his opponent. 17.5 inches long overall in scabbard, blade 12 inches
The very same form of Imperial German army cap worn by Adolf Hitler in WW1 [see photos] A rare survivor of early WW1 German trench warfare head dress of 1914. In super condition with no mothing. The cockades used during WW1 to represent the National colours and Prussian state was black and white, and the upper cockade, red, white and black.
The type of cap worn by. Adolf Hitler is shown in a photo in the gallery wearing his very same type of cap, while serving as a gefreiter in the trenches in WW1. The infantry Mutze was adorned with two roundels (Kokarden) sewn one over the other. The upper Kokarde was known as the Deutsche or Reichs Kokarde, and it was painted in the national colors of red-white-black. The lower Kokarde was painted in the State colours and was known as the Landeskokarde. 1897 Reich's Kokarde
In 1897 a new Reich's Kokarde in Red/White/Black was introduced for all ranks to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of Kaiser Wilhelm 1st. The Reich's Kokarde was to be worn on the right side of the Pickelhaube, and worn centered between the band and the top row of piping on Kratzchen (Feldmutze)The lower Kokarde was painted in the State colors and was known as the Landeskokarde, and is based in Schlesien - a Prussian State Because the Krätzchen was a vital link in the rather complicated unit colour-coding system, it had a wide-range of colour combinations for the band and piping. A wide coloured band in combination with piping at the cap’s top, and sometimes on the band, indicated the wearer’s branch, or in the cavalry’s case, regiment. It sounds simple, yet the almost endless colour-coding made it so complicated it had little utility. For example, all infantrymen would have a poppy red band and piping. Various shades of red band and piping would also apply to certain regiments of Dragoons, Uhlans, Schwere Reiter and Chevaulegers. Some cavalry regiments, such as Hussars and Cuirassiers, would have their own unique unit colour combination. Certain branches of the army would wear the identical colour combination, such as the technical branches, including engineers, field artillery and transport troops (black band with red piping). This cap has wine red coloured band and piping which usually denotes an Uhlan Regt. The cotton lining is good and complete but the interior wear marks have worn away the interior black regimental ink stamps.
This original 1914 print is showing Romanov era Russians firing on an Austrian airship and there is it's twin that that is held in the collection of World War I lubok posters held at the British Library. The caption explains: ?An Austrian airship heading toward Russia was spotted near the Russian-Austrian border. Our troops, despite their fierce fight with the enemy, saw the airship and fired at it forcefully. The airship was forced to land in an area occupied by our troops, and we captured it along with the military pilots. On August 8 1914 the airship was placed on three cargo platforms that were joined together and was brought to Kiev.? Lubok is a Russian word for popular prints created from woodcuts, engravings, etchings, or later, by using lithography. The prints were often characterized by simple, colourful graphics depicting a narrative, and could also include text. Lubok gained popularity in Russia beginning in the late 17th century. The prints, which often depicted narratives from a historical event, literature, or a religious tale, were used to make such stories accessible to illiterate people. These expressive prints had a wide range in tone, from humorous to instructive to sharp political and social commentary. The images were clear and easy to understand, and some of the pictures were serialized, predecessors of the modern comic strip. Prints could be reproduced inexpensively, and were thus a way for the masses to display art at home. Initially, this artistic style was not taken seriously by the upper classes, but by the end of the 19th century, lubok was so well-regarded that it inspired professional artists. During World War I, lubok informed Russians about events on the frontlines, bolstered morale, and served as propaganda against enemy combatants. Segodniashnii Lubok (Today's Lubok) was organized by the Moscow publisher Gorodetsky to produce propagandistic posters and postcards in support of Russia's war effort. It stands out from similar publishers that had sprung out all over Russia at the start of WWI by the quality of the artists and poets it attracted - Kazimir Malevich, Vladimir Mayakovsky, Artistakh Lentulov, Ilya Mashkov, David Burliuk, and Vasilli Chekrugin among them. The look of their posters was inspired by old mass-produced woodcut prints, "lubki". This was a deliberate decision, an attempt to produce posters accessible to uneducated masses, and to appeal to the nationalist sentiment - folk art forms were considered purely Russian, and unspoiled by Western influences. Based on the war events described. 16.5 x 22.75 inches sold unframed Would look stunning nicely reframed
Taken from a crashed Mitsubishi G4M Mitsubishi G4M Bomber in 1945, in Japanese it reads "Danger Do Not Turn Emgine May Fire Up"
The Mitsubishi G4M was a two engine bomber used by the Imperial Japanese Navy in World War II. Codenamed "Betty" by allies, there were 2,435 GM4's produced by Japan between the years of 1941 and 1945. The Mitsubishi G4M was used as a bomber and a torpedo bomber.
The Mitsubishi G4M was used in the sinking of The Prince of Wales and Repulse in 1941. It was also the aircraft that Admiral Yamamoto was in, when his Mitsubishi G4M was shot down by American P-38's.
The Mitsubishi G4M was the aircraft that the Japanese attached (to the bottom) the Yokosuka MXY-7 Ohka or "baka" rocket powered, kamikaze attack bomb/plane. The G4M would carry the bomb/plane with 2,000 lbs of explosives, underneath, until they were in range of a ship or target and then release it. The pilot would then glide the bomb/plane towards a target, then fire the solid fuel rockets, at the last, until it hit the vessel or target.
The Mitsubishi G4M was powered by two, Kasei, fourteen cylinder, radial engines and had a top speed of 265 mph. The G4M had a service ceiling of almost 28,000 feet. The Mitsubishi G4M had extreme long range of over 3,000 miles.
The Mitsubishi G4M was armed with one 20 mm auto cannon and four 7.7 mm machine guns. The Mitsubishi G4M could carry almost 2,000 lbs bombs or torpedoes. We do not know other than in the Pacific theatre of war whereabouts this plaque was recovered from the crashed plane.
A most rare Luftwaffe bomber radio element prufgerat PG10, with earphones, throat-mike and morse tapper. All original Luftwaffe issue and possibly removed from a crashed bomber. Serial number plate shows it was manufactured by Deutche Telefonwerk und Kabelindustrie ag Berlin, WW2 German code number 'bxo'. According to its 24 page manual it was issued with a splash-proof case, one might assume in case the plane crashed at sea and the radio was salvageable. Complete with a re-print copy of its Luftwaffe operating manual dated Berlin, 26th Mai 1942. As may be used in the Heinkel He 111. It was a German aircraft designed by Siegfried and Walter G?nter at Heinkel Flugzeugwerke in 1934. Through development it was described as a "wolf in sheep's clothing". Due to restrictions placed on Germany after the First World War prohibiting bombers, it masqueraded as a civil airliner, although from conception the design was intended to provide the nascent Luftwaffe with a fast medium bomber.
Perhaps the best-recognised German bomber due to the distinctive, extensively glazed "greenhouse" nose of later versions, the Heinkel He 111 was the most numerous Luftwaffe bomber during the early stages of World War II. The bomber fared well until the Battle of Britain, when its weak defensive armament was exposed. Nevertheless, it proved capable of sustaining heavy damage and remaining airborne. As the war progressed, the He 111 was used in a variety of roles on every front in the European theatre. It was used as a strategic bomber during the Battle of Britain, a torpedo bomber in the Atlantic and Arctic, and a medium bomber and a transport aircraft on the Western, Eastern, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and North African Front theatres. Top right guage lacking.
Initially designed an anti-aircraft gun, the 88mm German cannon was also used to incredible effect by General Rommel, and his Afrika Korps artillery, as an anti-tank gun. His 88mm guns, when used as an anti-tank gun, had a remarkable near 100% success rate against any allied tank up to 2,000 metres distant [remarkable for him, tragic for us!]. This superb site is a WW2 Issue, maker code stamped site, made by Emil Busch AG, Rathanow, and it bears the additional rare stamp mark [the blue triangle] that shows it was specifically designed especially for use in extreme temperatures, up to 50 centigrade down to minus 40 centigrade, perfect for both the African desert and the Russian Eastern Front. The standard issue non triangle manufactured examples could develop faults in extreme temperatures. In good optical condition. This 88mm gun could use both gun sites, the more common binocular version, and this, the much scarcer monocular version, with side sun filter adjustment, as opposed to a top filter adjustment on the binocular version. We were told, by a former Afrika Korps German artillery officer around 30 years ago, that the double sized binocular vision was very good for mounted gun emplacements, for artillery in fixed positions [such as anti-aircraft flak cannon] but more mobile 88mm artillery [when used against short range land based targets such as tanks and armoured vehicles ] faired much better with the monocular version as it was smaller, lighter, and easier to transport. During the North African campaign, Rommel made the most effective use of the weapon, as he lured tanks of the British Eighth Army into traps by baiting them with apparently retreating German panzers. A mere two flak battalions destroyed 264 British tanks in 1941. Repeated high tank loss from well-placed 8.8 cm Flak guns in the battles of Halfaya Pass earned it the nickname "Hellfire Pass". Later in that theatre, in the Battle of Faid in Tunisia, Rommel camouflaged many 8.8 cm Flaks (with additional 7.5 cm Pak 40s and 5 cm Pak 38s) in cactus-filled areas. Inexperienced U.S. tankers and commanders rushed into a valley at Faid only to be obliterated. When the U.S. Army's M3 Stuart and M4 Sherman tanks pursued, concealed German guns picked them off at ranges far beyond those of their 37 mm and 75 mm guns respectively. Even the heavily armoured British M3 Grant tanks [made under the lend lease programme] could not survive a direct hit from Rommel’s 88 guns.
Under German occupation itself, the Netherlands had little ability to defend its colony against the Japanese army, and less than three months after the first attacks on Kalimantan the Japanese navy and army overran Dutch and allied forces, ending 300 years of Dutch colonial presence in Indonesia. A lot of their weaponry was captured, and some were converted for use by the Imperial Japanese Army. The Dutch cutlass or klewang was one such weapon. These Japanese adapted weapons have very distinctive features such as the cutlass bowl hilt being removed, and the swords were then re-issued to the Japanese forces for use in the Jungles of Burma etc. They are very scarcely seen rare items these days and highly sought after. There is a near identical example to be seen in the British Royal Maritime Collection.
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire is a British order of chivalry, and the military version for gallantry, made by Garrards & Co of London, Makers to the King. Although initially intended to recognise meritorious service, the Order began to be also awarded for gallantry for the armed forces. There were an increased number of cases in the Second World War for service personnel and civilians, including the merchant navy, police, emergency services and civil defence, mostly MBEs but with a small number of OBEs and CBEs. Such awards were for gallantry that did not reach the standard of the George Medal, but, as an Order, were listed before it on the Order of Wear. Awards for meritorious service usually appear without a citation but there were often citations for gallantry awards, some detailed and graphic. From 14 January 1958, these awards were designated Commander, Officer or Member of the Order of the British Empire for Gallantry The Order is limited to 300 Knights and Dames Grand Cross, 845 Knights and Dames Commander, and 8,960 Commanders. There are no limits applied to the total number of members of the fourth and fifth classes, but no more than 858 Officers and 1,464 Members may be appointed per year. It was established on 4 June 1917 by King George V and comprises five classes across both civil and military divisions. This is the early, 1st type, Military Issue with Britannia gilt centre, in its original leather bound gold embossed CBE [Military] case, but a plain purple neck ribbon, without the usual military stripe [however, replacement ribbons are easily available if one felt the need to acquire one]. The later issued medals, from 1938, had a red silk ribbon instead of purple. picture photo in the gallery of the current Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nicholas Houghton GCB, CBE, ADC Gen.. Her Majesty The Queen. Another photo of Major General H H (Tack) Hammer CBE DSO & Bar, ED He served with the 6th Division in North Africa and Greece before becoming Commanding Officer of 2nd/48th Battalion. On return from the Middle East, Hammer commanded the 15th Brigade throughout two years of fighting in New Guinea and Bougainville. Plus the portrait of Major-General Peter Raymond Leuchars, GCStJ CBE He saw action at the Normandy landings in June 1944 and then in north west Europe during the Second World War. He became commanding officer of the 1st Battalion the Welsh Guards. All of those distinguished officers are wearing their CBE Military
From a super 25 bayonet collection we just acquired. Our Royal Marines example has just sold. The Lee–Enfield rifle was derived from the earlier Lee–Metford, a mechanically similar black-powder rifle, which combined James Paris Lee's rear-locking bolt system that had a barrel featuring rifling designed by William Ellis Metford. The Lee action cocked the striker on the closing stroke of the bolt, making the initial opening much faster and easier compared to the "cock on opening" (i.e., the firing pin cocks upon opening the bolt) of the Mauser Gewehr 98 design. The Lee bolt-action and 10-round magazine capacity enabled a well-trained rifleman to perform the "mad minute" firing 20 to 30 aimed rounds in 60 seconds, making the Lee–Enfield the fastest military bolt-action rifle of the day. The current world record for aimed bolt-action fire was set in 1914 by a musketry instructor in the British Army—Sergeant Instructor Snoxall—who placed 38 rounds into a 12-inch-wide (300 mm) target at 300 yards (270 m) in one minute. Some straight-pull bolt-action rifles were thought faster, but lacked the simplicity, reliability, and generous magazine capacity of the Lee–Enfield. Several First World War accounts tell of British troops repelling German attackers who subsequently reported that they had encountered machine guns, when in fact it was simply a group of well-trained riflemen armed with SMLE Mk III rifles
website designed and maintained by Concept500