WW1 / WW2 / 20th Century

334 items found
basket0
A Superb, Original, Her Majesty Queen ELizabeth II, Household Division Drum Major's Welsh Guards Bearskin Cap. In Superb Condition, A Post 1953 Coronation Era, Bearskin, For a Member of The Battalion Staff {Gloriously Fluffy}

A Superb, Original, Her Majesty Queen ELizabeth II, Household Division Drum Major's Welsh Guards Bearskin Cap. In Superb Condition, A Post 1953 Coronation Era, Bearskin, For a Member of The Battalion Staff {Gloriously Fluffy}

A fabulous original Household Division bearskin of the Welsh Guards, in stunning condition, with luxurious fur quality. Original Welsh plume of green and white horsehair.
Perfect interior cane frame and complete leather lining with all the tongues in perfect condition. Maker label to the interior.

The Welsh Guards was raised on 26 February 1915 by order of King George V, in order to complete the national complement of regiments of Foot Guards identified with the countries of the United Kingdom.

On inception the Regiment took its place alongside the English Grenadier Guards and Coldstream Guards, the Scots Guards and the Irish Guards. Two days later, the Battalion mounted its first King's Guard at Buckingham Palace on 1 March 1915 - St David's Day.

The title "Drum Major" is an appointment, not an ordinary or regular military rank. The Drum Major is always referred to and addressed as "Drum Major" or "Sir" this is because as a Drum Major of the Household Division, a Royal Warrant is awarded as a “Drummer to the Household” and a member of Battalion Staff.
The insignia of the appointment is four inverted chevrons worn on a wrist-strap whilst in shirt-sleeve order, or four inverted large chevrons worn on the uniform sleeve, surmounted by a drum.
Military Drum Majors utilize a ceremonial mace for giving commands while marching.

A bearskin is a tall fur cap derived from mitre caps worn by grenadier units in the 17th and 18th centuries. Initially worn by only grenadiers, its usage was extended to several other military units in the 19th century. The bearskin cap continued to see use in battle during the mid-19th century, although by the 20th century, it was only used for parade dress. In the 21st century, the bearskin cap is retained by select military units as a prominent element of their ceremonial and full dress uniforms.

The earliest record of a bearskin-like cap being worn by soldiers in Europe was during the mid-17th century, although its widespread adoption did not take place until 1761, when French grenadiers began to wear tall fur caps resembling the Prussian mitre cap. The purpose appears to have been to add to the apparent height and impressive appearance of these troops both on the parade ground and the battlefield.5 These fur caps developed into the colossal bearskin caps worn by the French Imperial Guard. The British Grenadier Guards adopted the headdress after their victory at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, with other British units and European militaries adopting the headdress in the years after.

The headdress continued to see military service during the mid-19th century, with British foot guards and the Royal Scots Greys wearing bearskins in battle during the Crimean War.6 However, by the mid-19th century, the expense of acquiring bearskin caps and the difficulty in maintaining them in good condition led to some military units limiting the use of the headdress for specific occasions. Some units, like the Italian 1st Regiment "Granatieri di Sardegna", eventually discontinued the use of the headgear altogether during that century.

The British Army continued to use the headdress during peacetime manoeuvres until the introduction of khaki service dress in 1902. Immediately before the outbreak of World War I in 1914, bearskins were still worn by several British, Belgian, Danish, German, Russian, and Swedish units as a part of their ceremonial/parade dress. Several units that retired the use of the headdress during the 19th century, including units in Italy and the Netherlands, also readopted it for ceremonial use during the 20th century


Every single item from The Lanes Armoury is accompanied by our unique Certificate of Authenticity. Part of our continued dedication to maintain the standards forged by us over the past 100 years of our family’s trading, as Britain’s oldest established, and favourite, armoury and gallery  read more

Code: 25421

950.00 GBP

Very Fine 1889 Pattern Regimental Officer's Sword WW1 Imperial Prussian Eagle Guard With Crest of Kaiser Willhelm IInd. Surrendered on the 4th of May 1945. A Few Hours Before The Official Instrument Of Surrender Was Signed at 18.30 Hours

Very Fine 1889 Pattern Regimental Officer's Sword WW1 Imperial Prussian Eagle Guard With Crest of Kaiser Willhelm IInd. Surrendered on the 4th of May 1945. A Few Hours Before The Official Instrument Of Surrender Was Signed at 18.30 Hours

Surrendered by a veteran staff officer of Generalmajor Hans Kienast, at the surrender to Field Marshal Montgomery of the German armed forces in 1945.

However, most regrettably, there was no written record kept of the name of the colonel that surrendered it. If this had been recorded, this sword could have been priced at ten times its current value, or even higher. But, it does mean, as such, it is incredibly affordable. This surrender was a precursor to the final unconditional surrender of all German forces (V-E Day) on May 8, 1945.

Overall the sword is in excellent condition, with its original multi wire bound sharkskin grip fully original and intact. Bronze guard, with the personal monogram of the Kaiser upon the grip, and guard depicting the Imperial Prussian Eagle, pieced and in relief. Double fullered blade and it’s original all steel combat scabbard. The blade bears the Kaiser Wilhelmi W Crown proof inspection mark.

1889 Pattern Prussian Officers sword with cast Eagle guard, multi wire bound sharkskin grip, excellent condition double fullered blade and black lacquered steel combat scabbard. Kaiser Willhelm Crest to grip.
Many of these swords were also used in the 3rd Reich by veteran officers serving in WW2 after their service in WW1, as was this great example.

Numerous Vintage photographs of WW2 German Officers show them wearing this pattern of sword, including one in the gallery of Generalleutnant Hans von Donat with his identical sword.

This sword was taken at the official event of the German high command requesting surrender terms to Montgomery at 2nd army HQ on May 3rd, all of the participants were disarmed, unfortunately it is not known from whom this sword was taken.

See our original official photograph from this special and monumentally important historical event, taken on the 3rd of May 1945. It is of Field Marshal Montgomery, Admiral von Friedeburg, General Kinzel and Rear Admiral Wagner plus aides .The unconditional surrender was not ‘officially signed until a few days later as Stalin insisted his generals must be present. Overall this sword is in excellent condition.
Field Marshal Montgomery greeted for the surrender the German delegation (Admiral von Friedeburg, General Kinzel and Rear Admiral Wagner).
The images were taken by the British Army Film and Photographic Unit.

Field Marshal Montgomery signed the terms of the surrender watched by Rear Admiral Wagner and Admiral von Friedeburg.
On 4 May 1945, at 18:30 British Double Summer Time, at Lüneburg Heath, south of Hamburg, Field Marshal Sir Bernard Law Montgomery accepted the unconditional surrender of the German forces in the Netherlands, northwest Germany including all islands, in Denmark and all naval ships in those areas. The surrender preceded the end of World War II in Europe and was signed in a carpeted tent at Montgomery's headquarters on the Timeloberg hill at Wendisch Evern. Lüneburg had been captured by the British forces on 18 April 1945 with Montgomery establishing his headquarters at a villa in the village of Häcklingen. A German delegation arrived at his tactical headquarters on the Timeloberg hill by car on 3 May, having been sent by Großadmiral Karl Dönitz who had been nominated President and Supreme Commander of the German armed forces by Adolf Hitler in his last will and testament on 29 April. Dönitz was aware of the allied occupation zones intended for Germany from a plan that had fallen into German hands. He therefore hoped that protracted partial and local surrender negotiations might buy time for troops and refugees in the east to seek refuge from the Red Army, whilst holding open a pocket to provide sanctuary on the west bank of the River Elbe.

Dönitz did not think it appropriate to negotiate personally with a field marshal as he had become the head of state following the death of Adolf Hitler. He therefore sent the delegation headed by the new Commander-in-Chief of the German navy Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg. Montgomery refused an initial offer to surrender Army Group Vistula which was being cut off to the east by the Red Army and demanded the unconditional surrender of all forces on his northern and western flanks. The Germans stated that they did not have the authority to accept Montgomery's terms. However they agreed to return to their headquarters to obtain permission from Dönitz.

The German officers returned the next day at 18:00 with an additional delegate, (Colonel Fritz Poleck) representing the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, (the German armed forces high command). Von Friedeburg was ushered into Montgomery's command caravan for confirmation that they were ready to sign. For the surrender ceremony Montgomery sat at the head of a table with an army blanket draped over it and two BBC microphones in front of him; he called on each delegate in turn to sign the instrument of surrender document at 18.30. The surrender ceremony was filmed by the British Pathé News and recorded for broadcast on radio by the BBC with a commentary by the Australian war correspondent Chester Wilmot. The intimate detail of document translation and conversation interpretation was supervised by one of Montgomery's senior intelligence officers Colonel James Oliver Ewart.

We acquired it from the same family of the WW2 photographer, that had another German sword, surrendered at the same surrender signing, four years ago.

Photo shown in the gallery, that we once had, taken at time of the surrender of this sword, with Field Marshal Montgomery in May 1945  read more

Code: 26139

850.00 GBP

Scarce Original Silver Medal for Graf Zeppelin's Launch of  the German Airship LZ127

Scarce Original Silver Medal for Graf Zeppelin's Launch of the German Airship LZ127 "Graf Zeppelin"

Weimar Republic. Graf Zeppelin launch silver Specimen Medal 1928 SP65 Matte PCGS, Kienast-408. By Karl Goetz. 36mm. TAUFE DES Z127 AM 90. Geburtstag / 8. JULI 1928. Bust facing slightly right, wearing suit / GLÜCK AB GRAF ZEPPELIN. Coat of arms of the noble lineage of Zeppelin, flanked by a boy to left and girl to right each playing with a balloon; in background, zeppelin. On the christening of the airship LZ127 "Graf Zeppelin" on the 90th birthday of Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin (1838-1917). Germany Karl Goetz 1928 Graf Zeppelin silver medal; Kienast reference 408. Nicely toned matte finish with original patina; rare this nice Rare Karl Goetz German airship medal struck in 1928 to mark the christening of the famous airship Graf Zeppelin (D-LZ127), as well as Graf Zeppelin’s birthday; Kienast reference 408. An excellent finish specimen with original light-gray with golden overtones patina; a scarce type. The medal is about 36 mm in diameter; the rim is stamped BAYER HAUPTMUNZAMT FEINSILBER (Bavarian State Mint Fine Silver in German). Early Zeppelin medals are very collectible and highly thought-after by many collectors. A scarce “airship type” medal by the famous German medallist in excellent overall condition; LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin (Deutsches Luftschiff Zeppelin 127) was a German passenger-carrying, hydrogen-filled rigid airship that flew from 1928 to 1937. It offered the first commercial transatlantic passenger flight service. Named after the German airship pioneer Ferdinand von Zeppelin, a count (Graf) in the German nobility, it was conceived and operated by Dr Hugo Eckener, the chairman of Luftschiffbau Zeppelin.

Graf Zeppelin made 590 flights totalling almost 1.7 million kilometres (over 1 million miles). It was operated by a crew of 36, and could carry 24 passengers. It was the longest and largest airship in the world when it was built. It made the first circumnavigation of the world by airship, and the first nonstop crossing of the Pacific Ocean by air; its range was enhanced by its use of Blau gas as a fuel. It was built using funds raised by public subscription and from the German government, and its operating costs were offset by the sale of special postage stamps to collectors, the support of the newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst, and cargo and passenger receipts.

After several long flights between 1928 and 1932, including one to the Arctic, Graf Zeppelin provided a commercial passenger and mail service between Germany and Brazil for five years. When the Nazi Party came to power, they used it as a propaganda tool. It was withdrawn from service after the Hindenburg disaster in 1937, and scrapped for military aircraft production in 1940.  read more

Code: 23636

685.00 GBP

A Most Rare Imperial German Elite ‘Gardes du Corps’ Officer’s Cap, In White and Scarlet, The Very Same General Officer’s Cap of The Regiment  As Worn By Kaiser Wilhelm IInd  & Crown Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern

A Most Rare Imperial German Elite ‘Gardes du Corps’ Officer’s Cap, In White and Scarlet, The Very Same General Officer’s Cap of The Regiment As Worn By Kaiser Wilhelm IInd & Crown Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern

In the gallery is a portrait of Crown Prince Wilhelm wearing his identical cap of a General of The Guarde du Corps.
The most elite regiment of Imperial Germany, with officer's drawn from the imperial Prussian nobility including the Kaiser himself. A dress cap for an officer, as worn by a General of the Gardes du Corps (Regiment der Gardes du Corps). In superb condition for age, not faded and crisp scarlet, some natural age use wear to the interior, no moth, with some stiching adrift on one side of the extreme peak corner. In parade dress they wore the most extravagent eagle mounted steel helmet.
This is only the second Gardes du Corps officers cap we have had in 20 years.

The Gardes du Corps was the personal bodyguard of the king of Prussia and, after 1871, of the German emperor (in German, the Kaiser). The unit was founded in 1740 by Frederick the Great. Its first commander was Friedrich von Blumenthal, who died unexpectedly in 1745; his brother Hans von Blumenthal, who, with the other officers of the regiment had won the Pour le M?rite in its first action at the battle of Hohenfriedberg, assumed command in 1747. Hans von Blumenthal was badly wounded leading the regiment in a successful cavalry charge in the battle of Lobositz and had to retire from the military. Unlike the rest of the Imperial German Army after German unification in 1871, the Garde du Corps was recruited nationally and was part of the 1st Guards Cavalry Division. The Regiment wore a white cuirassier uniform with certain special distinctions in full dress. These included a red tunic for officers in court dress and a white metal eagle poised as if about to rise from the bronze helmet on which it sat.

Other unique features of the regiment's full dress worn until 1914 included a red sleeveless Supraweste (survest) with the star of the Order of the Black Eagle on front and back and the retention of black iron cuirasses edged with red which had been presented by the Russian Tsar in 1814. These last replaced the normal white metal breastplates on certain special occasions. During the First World War, the Garde du Corps served in Belgium, Poland, Latvia and the Ukraine.

Photo 6 in the gallery is the personal and identical Garde du Corps general officer’s uniform cap of Kaiser Wilhelm IInd that sold for 12,500 € last year..

Made by Eduard Sachs, special class {sonderclaas}

Photo 7 of the portrait Crown Prince Wilhelm in his uniform of the Garde du Corps wearing this cap. Crown Prince Wilhelm of Hohenzollern, c.1916 (oil on canvas) by Nedomansky Studio, Vienna (fl.1914-18); Museo della Guerra di Rovereto, Trento, Italy  read more

Code: 21480

1550.00 GBP

Superb, 1908 Pattern, Historical, British Cavalry Trooper's Sword by Mole & Wilkinson Sword Co. Issue of 1909. British Front Line Cavalry Issue, & 1918 Australian Light Horse Issue, Original 1918 Australian Light Horse Service Issue Buff Hide Sword Knot

Superb, 1908 Pattern, Historical, British Cavalry Trooper's Sword by Mole & Wilkinson Sword Co. Issue of 1909. British Front Line Cavalry Issue, & 1918 Australian Light Horse Issue, Original 1918 Australian Light Horse Service Issue Buff Hide Sword Knot

Just returned from the workshop after 40 hours of expert hand polishing and conservation in order to return it, as close as possible, to its original issue bright polish finish. It revealed after all that expert effort it has just natural age wear and surface patination, and with no damage signs at all. It is now transformed back into its excellent condition for its age. We pride ourselves for the use of our expert conservation and restoration artisans, that are some of the very best available in the country, some expertly trained for over 40 years. Many types of conservation skills are now sadly lost, but some are still maintained, with no expense spared attitude in order to preserve historical artefacts for generations to come.

With many original ordnance inspection stamps still present, an the earliest is {'09} 1909, with several others, {'14} 1914, {'17} 1917, {'24} 1924, {'36}1936. It still has its original WW1 Australian issue buff hide sword knot still attached, by Hepburn, Gale & Ross Ltd. The knot also shows over 100 years of completely natural aging and darkening, yet still retains its great condition. The Australian service pattern issue knot differed somewhat from the standard British service issue leather knot.

Early British army regimental markings on the inner bowl, for the British front line regiments to which it was issued in 1909, and thus used at the outbreak of the war and through to the end of 1917, but its early war regimental markings were later struck out for its later war re-issue to the Australian Light Horse in 1918. No Australian Light Horse issue swords ever bore any Australian issue markings {certainly none that been found so far}. Likely as they were issued straight to the regiments direct at the front line in Turkey, and never went to the Australian ordnance until after the war.

One of the earliest issued examples of the 1908 trooper's sword, issued and used by British front rank cavalry, lancers and hussars from 1914, right through 1914,15,16,17, until it was re-issued and sent to Australian forces in 1918, as a WW1 Australian service, Australian Light Horse 1908 trooper's sword.
All the Australian issued swords came in 1918 to units in the Middle East and came from most British and Canadian cavalry units who were eventually dismounted in the trenches and had no further need for swords. The Australian regiment mostly used the 1908's in 1918 for routing entrenched Turkish forces positions. Before the availability of the swords the cavalry famously used their 1907 pattern hook quillon bayonets.

In its earliest service, it would have seen service with, for example, such as the 6th Dragoon Guards. In August 1914, the 6th D.G, deployed to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force. It served throughout the First World War (1914-18) on the Western Front, fighting in many engagements in both a mounted and infantry role. These included Mons (1914), the Marne (1914), the first two battles of Ypres (1914 and 1915), the Somme (1916), Arras (1917), Cambrai (1917) and Amiens (1918). 6 DG remained as mounted cavalry throughout the war, but there were occasions, notably during March/April 1918, when they did duty in the trenches or helped stem an attack. For these occasions they were dismounted temporarily. An original sword as can be seen used to incredible effect in the magnificent epic, by Steven Spielberg, 'Warhorse'. An antique original issue trooper's sword with full ordnance markings, used in the frontline British cavalry regiments during WW1. A current Cavalry pattern still used today by all forms of the current British Cavalry. Considered to be the best designed cavalry sword ever made. In exceptionally good condition, a superb collector's item from the finest cavalry in the world. Steel bowl with inner part still with original darkening present. Its steel scabbard is superb, as is its traditional service issue hardened rubber grip with crosshatching. Early in WW1, cavalry skirmishes occurred on several fronts, and horse-mounted troops were widely used for reconnaissance. Britain's cavalry were trained to fight both on foot and mounted, but most other European cavalry still relied on the shock tactic of mounted charges. There were isolated instances of successful shock combat on the Western Front, where cavalry divisions also provided important mobile fire-power. Beginning in 1917, cavalry was deployed alongside tanks and aircraft, notably at the Battle of Cambrai, where cavalry was expected to exploit breakthroughs in the lines that the slower tanks could not. At Cambrai, troops from Great Britain, Canada, India and Germany participated in mounted actions. Cavalry was still deployed late in the war, with Allied cavalry troops harassing retreating German forces in 1918 during the Hundred Days Offensive, when horses and tanks continued to be used in the same battles. In comparison to their limited usefulness on the Western Front, "cavalry was literally indispensable" on the Eastern front and, in the Middle East, & Turkey.  read more

Code: 25527

1125.00 GBP

A Superb, Original, WW1 British Brodie 'Tommy' Combat Helmet. Veteran Painted With WW1 Cartoon & Theatre Character 'Old Bill'

A Superb, Original, WW1 British Brodie 'Tommy' Combat Helmet. Veteran Painted With WW1 Cartoon & Theatre Character 'Old Bill'

Unlike the closure of most wars, every WW1 Tommy veteran was allowed to take home his helmet. A very few then decorated the surface with comedic scenes or regimental devices etc.

Old Bill is a fictional character created in 1914–15 by cartoonist Bruce Bairnsfather. It became a worldwide sensation. Old Bill was depicted as an elderly, pipe-smoking British "tommy" with a walrus moustache. The character achieved a great deal of popularity during World War I where it was considered a major morale booster for the British troops. Old Bill and his younger troopmate little Alphie were private infantrymen in the British Expeditionary Force.

Many claims have been put forth as being the model for "Old Bill" but the most likely appears to be Thomas Henry Rafferty, a lance corporal from Birmingham in Bairnsfather's regiment, the Royal Warwickshires, who was killed in the same action that invalided Bairnsfather in April 1915. Rafferty was featured in the Weekly Dispatch in 1917, referred to as "Old Bill," along with a photograph taken by Bairnsfather.

Bill & Alphie's, the Royal Military College of Canada on-campus cadet pub in Kingston, Ontario is named after Bruce Bairnsfather's Great War cartoon characters. Yeo Hall at the Royal Military College of Canada features sculptures of Bill and Alphie.

After the huge success of his first theatrical sketch Bairnsfatherland or the Johnson 'Ole (written in collaboration with Basil Macdonald Hastings) in the London Hippodrome revue Flying Colours in September 1916 , and with a second sketch due to open in See-Saw at the Comedy Theatre in Spring of 1917, the suggestion was made that Bruce Bairnsfather should write a full length play based around his popular character Old Bill,

The idea was taken up by Bairnsfather and, in collaboration with Capt. Arthur Eliot, he wrote a comedy-drama titled The Better 'Ole. It was made up of two acts and eight scenes (described in the programme as "Two explosions, Seven Splinters and a Short Gas Attack"): at a "Gaff" behind the lines, outside the Cafe des Oiseaux near the front, in billets behind the line, on the way back "in," in the trenches, at Headquarters, on the Leave Train and back at Old Bill's home in England.

First produced by Charles B Cochran at the Oxford Theatre, London on 4 August 1917, The Better 'Ole was an instant hit. Within a few months Cochran had sent out several touring companies, which took the play to all corners of the UK over the next 2 years. It was also produced around the world - from New York to Sydney, and Bombay to Tokyo - by several theatrical companies, and met with huge success wherever it was played.  read more

Code: 25537

450.00 GBP

A Solid Hallmarked Sterling Silver Horse, By Carrington and Company Of Regent Street, London, In 1961. Silversmiths To Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Edward VII and George V, Czar Nicholas I & II,Queen Alexandra of Russia.

A Solid Hallmarked Sterling Silver Horse, By Carrington and Company Of Regent Street, London, In 1961. Silversmiths To Queen Victoria, Prince Albert, Edward VII and George V, Czar Nicholas I & II,Queen Alexandra of Russia.

A beautifully crafted horse, standing erect and proud, finely cast with a finely hand engraved coat

Made in two parts, with the horse free standing upon its rectangular base {hallmarked}. The horse is hallmarked upon its hoof.

The firm of Carrington was named after its founder John Bodman Carrington who established his manufacturing business at 130 Regent Street.

He was listed as a silversmith, goldsmith and jeweller working from the London premises of the Birmingham silversmiths G.R. Collis & Co. The business was re-styled Carrington & Co in 1880 and the firm specialised in extra strong silver plate for use in restaurants, hotels and ships.

By the early 1890s Carrington were advertising themselves as jewellers, diamond merchants, dealers in precious stones and manufacturing silversmiths. At this time the partners were John Carrington, William Carrington Smith and George Bruford. They were awarded the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria and would go on to gain the warrants of Prince Albert, Edward VII and George V, as well as Nicholas I and II and Queen Alexandra of Russia. In 1893 they created the beautiful Dorset bow brooch for Queen Mary and in 1911 they set the famous Cullinan diamonds numbers III and IV into a brooch/ pendant for her, a jewel now owned by the Queen who affectionately refers to them as ‘Granny’s chips’.

John Carrington became Prime Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company in 1903 and retired from his business in 1906 leaving W.C. Smith to continue as sole remaining partner. Carrington co-authored a book ‘The Plate of the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths’ which was published shortly before his death in 1926. The firm was converted into a limited liability company in 1922 and was eventually bought out by the firm Collingwood.  read more

Code: 25509

495.00 GBP

Most Rare,1920's, Magic Circle & Magician’s Club Artefacts, of Harry Houdini's Great Friend, & Early 20th Century Stage Magician. The Magician's Club of London, Founded by Harry Houdini, Gold Medal Mounted Badge, & A Magic Circle Gold Medal

Most Rare,1920's, Magic Circle & Magician’s Club Artefacts, of Harry Houdini's Great Friend, & Early 20th Century Stage Magician. The Magician's Club of London, Founded by Harry Houdini, Gold Medal Mounted Badge, & A Magic Circle Gold Medal

Rare and highly interesting items of the early 1900’s London Magicians Club and The Magic Circle, are deservedly, incredibly sought after, and both of these superb quality pieces are directly connected to the great and legendary, Harry Houdini. The most famous magician of all time.

The aesthetics of the beauty and designs of these medals are wonderful. The Egyptian Sphinx and Pyramid in pure gilt, combined with the blue enamel, and the gold circle with magical symbology of the Zodiac also with contrasting rich blue enamelling, are both incredibly beautiful. With the marvellous Art Deco influence within the creation of their iconic artistry.

Both medals are of the finest pure gilt and enamel, and from the 1910’s and 1920's, each with blue water silk ribbon mount. A finest Magician’s Club medal, together with a Member of the Magic Circle medal, in gold and finest blue enamel, are named to Wilfred Allan M.M.C., who was Houdini's, and his great friend, Douglas Dexter's, principle pupil. The gold medal of the Magic Circle was awarded to Wilfred Allen M.M.C just a few months after Houdinis tragic death. Family legend was that he was awarded the medal in honour of the death of his friend Harry Houdini, who supposedly recommended him for the honour.

The Magicians' Club of London was formed in 1911 by Harry Houdini along with others including Servais Le Roy, Chris Van Bern, Carl Stakemann, and Stanley Collins.

It was a concept of Will Goldston who had taken umbrage with The Magic Circle (founded in 1905) and he decided to start his own society. He wrote an article titled "The League of Magicians - A Suggestion by Will Goldston" in his Magician Annual for 1910-11.

The first meeting was officially reported in Goldston's Magician Monthly.
Houdini was elected president, the rest as Vice-Presidents, with Stanley Collins as Secretary and Will Goldston as Treasurer. Nearly a hundred members were enrolled at the inaugural meeting on May 27, 1911. Houdini remained president until his death.

After the death of Houdini in 1926, Will Goldston was unanimously elected to succeed him. He held this office for the next three years, relinquishing it to Louis Gautier in 1929, but continuing to serve as Treasurer

The club seemed to have disbanded some time after Will Goldton passed away in 1948.

In Goodliffe's Abracadabra magazine July 1949, inquiries were made regarding the Magicians' Club, London, since the death of Will Goldston asking if it had died a natural death along with its founder. As far as they were able to ascertain, it had.

Wilfred Allan was the principle pupil of magician, and dear friend of co member Harry Houdini, Douglas Dexter. Douglas Dexter was once summoned to the Royal Palace for a personal Command Performance for the King, died in 1938 and Wilfred Allan died a year later in 1939.  read more

Code: 22437

695.00 GBP

A Good 19th-20th Century French 1886 Pattern Lebel Rifle Sword Bayonet & Frog Hook Scabbard. WW1 French Foreign Legion Issue. No Hook Quillon

A Good 19th-20th Century French 1886 Pattern Lebel Rifle Sword Bayonet & Frog Hook Scabbard. WW1 French Foreign Legion Issue. No Hook Quillon

With official removed quillon, complete, and in nice condition. Used by the French Foreign Legion into WW1, a very good example of these long and impressive sword bayonets. 65.5cm long overall. {25.75 inches}. Cross section epee blade nickle hilt. The scabbard has a frog hook fitting that fixes to the belt with a strap instead of the past and common frog button
Our current just arrived selection of bayonets ranges from a collection just acquired of really great and rare bayonets, from a collector who wanted the very best he could find over the past 40 years. Rare French examples from the Russian contract during WW1, uncovered in Ukraine in the late 90's, French Foreign Legion bayonets, acquired from a French Foreign Legion reserve armoury depot clear-out in the 70's,

The bayonet was made famous as the bayonet used by the French Foreign Legion used in WWI and WWII, albeit with several modifications. The bayonet was produced with a long cruciform blade on a white alloy hilt. The crossguard originally had a downswept quillon like this one {was removed in 1916} and had a press button rifle locking mechanism.

The French Foreign Legion fought in the trenches during WWI on the Western Front, alongside other European theaters of war like the Balkans. This was a shift from their traditional role as they were deployed to fight in Europe instead of just colonial territories. The Legion's units were made up of both veteran mercenaries and wartime volunteers who joined to fight for France, with the latter often finding themselves in the Legion due to circumstances rather than choice.
Deployment: The Legion was not only on the Western Front but also fought in other theaters, such as in the Balkans in engagements in Greece, Serbia, and Macedonia.
Composition: While the traditional "mercenary" legionnaires were part of the force, a large number of new volunteers also joined specifically to fight in the war for France.
Trench warfare: Legion units, like other French army units, were involved in the brutal trench warfare that characterized the war on the Western Front.
Combined forces: The Legion fought alongside other Allied forces, such as the British army in some theaters.

The Lebel bayonet type with the quillon removed is the M1886/93/16 (Model 1886/93/16).
The original M1886 bayonet featured a prominent hooked quillon, intended for parrying or trapping enemy bayonets. This design was updated in 1893 with a new press button mechanism (M1886/93), and then altered again in 1916 (M1886/93/16) to eliminate the quillon.
The quillon was removed for several practical reasons during World War I:
Ease of manufacture: Removing the quillon simplified and sped up the production process to meet the demands of the war effort.
Field functionality: The hooked quillon was found to be impractical in close combat, as it could get tangled in equipment or other objects.
Material conservation: Around the same time, the original nickel-silver (cupro-nickel-zinc alloy) handles were replaced with brass or steel to conserve nickel for other war uses.
Bayonets produced with the quillon (pre-1915 models) were often officially modified later by having the quillon cut off while in service. Bayonets manufactured after 1916 were made without the quillon from the start.

French Model 1886/93/16 Epee Lebel Bayonet

The model M1886/93/16 Bayonet was standard issue to French Foreign Legion soldiers fighting in the second half of WW1 after 1916 who were issued the Lebel rifle.

The M1886 bayonet is an usual design which has a long thin cruciform Blade with a peculiar locking device just behind the muzzle ring and an all metal grip

The later model was the same but with adjustments, see below, and re designated the M1886/93/16 bayonet

Cast smooth handle
No hooked Qullion
Square cut press stud
Cruciform blade
Black steel tube scabbard with frog hook.
Overall length 67cms
Blade length 51.5cms
Originally the bayonets had a nickel-silver handle and a hooked quillion, just as this example. By 1916, with the need to conserve nickel for the war effort, some of the handles were made of brass. About the same time they were manufactured without the quillion.

The steel quillon and scabbard has old age russetting, the quatrefoil blade and nickel are excellent.

Delivery cost shown as for UK mainland only. Non UK delivery is now considerably upgraded for safety issues  read more

Code: 26110

190.00 GBP

A Rare To Find Post 1953 New Zealand Police Sergeants / Constables Custodian Helmet. In Superb Condition. The Helmet Type That Was Removed From New Zealand Service in 1995

A Rare To Find Post 1953 New Zealand Police Sergeants / Constables Custodian Helmet. In Superb Condition. The Helmet Type That Was Removed From New Zealand Service in 1995

From a super collection of original and iconic British & Service Custodian Helmets from the 1980's on.

Since the early 1950s, helmets have no longer been worn by police officers in Scotland, but may be seen worn by Metropolitan Police officers when on Royal duties in Scotland. They ceased to be worn in Northern Ireland after the 1920s, except for night patrol work in Belfast and Derry until the early 1960s.


Police Helmet; a New Zealand Police constable's helmet, issued as part of their uniform. This style was used between 1986 and 1995. Identical to another example in the Mataura Museum. The iconic Custodian helmet was withdrawn from New Zealand Police service in 1995. Male Constable's/ Sergeant's 6 Panel blue serge helmet With Queen’s Crown Helmet Plate and Chin Strap. It has an excellent exterior finish with correct 6 panel construction,vented top mount and headband.

Manufactured by Mountcastle ltd  read more

Code: 26106

195.00 GBP